Meetings & Events
22 August 2022 - Monday - 7:00 pm - In-Person & Zoom*
- Program: "Using Alsace-Lorraine Records Online"
An overview of online archives for departments within Alsace-Lorraine, with examples of available records and tips for making sense of the documents.
- Presenter: Lauren Kuntzman, MA, MLIS, Family History & Learning Center Manager at Medina County District Library
26 September 2022 - Monday - 7:00 pm - In-Person & Zoom*
- Program: "Garrett Morgan and His Country Club in Wakeman Township, Huron County"
Garrett Augustus Morgan, Sr. (1877-1963) was an African American inventor, businessman, and community leader in Cleveland. In 1923, he used the proceeds from the sale of his patent for the 3-light traffic signal to purchase 121 acres near Wakeman, Ohio, where he established the all-black Wakeman Country Club and the Wakeman Heights housing development.
- Presenter: Marilyn Wainio, Wellington Genealogy Group
24 October 2022 - Monday - 7:00 pm - In-Person & Zoom*
- Program: "How to Reopen and Work a Genealogical Cold Case"
Become a genealogical detective in this informative session. You will learn to track your ancestors like a criminal cold case detective, sniffing out holes in your research and getting missing information on the record with cutting edge technology.
- Presenter: Lisa Louise Cooke, owner and CEO of Genealogy Gems and the author of several books, including The Genealogist's Google Toolbox, 3rd edition.
28 November 2022 - Monday - 7:00 pm - In-Person & Zoom*
- Program: "Railroads and Streetcars of Old Norwalk"
The Sandusky, Norwalk, and Mansfield Electric Railway is an interurban line that ran from Norwalk to Sandusky. Come and hear this speaker who is knowledgeable about the area's railroads. Feel free to bring and share any old interurban photographs that you might have at home.
- Presenter: Brett Dunbar, author of the book Streetcars and Interurbans of Richland County, Ohio, Volume I: Mansfield-Shelby-Plymouth-Norwalk.
*About Zoom Webinar
For Members Only
For Members Only
- A webinar ("web" + "seminar") is an online video presentation that is broadcast to a group of participants through their computers or other mobile devices via the Internet. Currently, our Chapter is using Zoom Webinar to facilitate this process for broadcasting our meetings.
- When possible, all regular meetings will be broadcast via Zoom. Occasionally, we may not be able to do this because of technical difficulties or if the speaker doesn't allow it, for example.
- Prior to each meeting, an announcement/invitation will be sent by email to each current and life member of our Chapter whose email address is on file with us.
- The email will include instructions and a link to click to join the webinar just before the meeting start time.
- Each webinar is limited to 100 participants. Participants will be added to the webinar on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Participation in meetings virtually via Zoom is currently available only to members. Information about joining can be found on our Membership page.
- All meetings are held on the 4th Monday of each month at 7:00 pm, unless noted otherwise.
- January and February meetings are virtual via Zoom only due to the possibility of inclement weather.
- Other regular meetings are in-person, but we will try to broadcast them to members virtually. (See "About Zoom Webinar" above.)
- The April meeting is the Annual Dinner.
- No meeting in December.
All regular in-person meetings are held at the Firelands Historical Society Meeting Room, 9 Case Avenue, Norwalk, Ohio, unless announced otherwise, and are open to the public.