Meetings & Events
28 November 2022 - Monday - 7:00 pm - In-Person & Zoom*
- Program: "Railroads and Streetcars of Old Norwalk"
The Sandusky, Norwalk, and Mansfield Electric Railway is an interurban line that ran from Norwalk to Sandusky. Come and hear this speaker who is knowledgeable about the area's railroads. Feel free to bring and share any old interurban photographs that you might have at home.
- Presenter: Brett Dunbar, author of the book Streetcars and Interurbans of Richland County, Ohio, Volume I: Mansfield-Shelby-Plymouth-Norwalk.
December 2022 - No Meeting - Merry Christmas!
23 January 2023 - Monday - 7:00 pm - Zoom* Only
- Program: "Show & Tell at Your House"
Do you have something handed down in your family that you want to tell about that is just a bit too big to haul to a meeting? At this virtual meeting, you can SHOW a family heirloom or other historic memorabilia and TELL its story -- from the convenience of your own home.
- Presenters: Everyone who wants to share a bit of their family history!
27 February 2023 - Monday - 7:00 pm - Zoom* Only
- Program: "The Home Archivist: Preserving Family Records Like a Pro!"
Learn from a professional archivist how to preserve, protect, and archive family records, photographs, and artifacts. She will talk about the best practices for organization, purchasing archival materials, and practical records preservation that any home archivist can achieve.
- Presenter: Melissa Barker, a Certified Archives Manager and Public Historian
Melissa (a.k.a. The Archive Lady") works at the Houston County, Tennessee Archives. She lectures, teaches, and writes about the genealogy research process, researching in archives, and records preservation and also conducts virtual webinar presentations across the United States for genealogical and historical societies.
*About Zoom Webinar
For Members Only
For Members Only
- A webinar ("web" + "seminar") is an online video presentation that is broadcast to a group of participants through their computers or other mobile devices via the Internet. Currently, our Chapter is using Zoom Webinar to facilitate this process for broadcasting our meetings.
- When possible, all regular meetings will be broadcast via Zoom. Occasionally, we may not be able to do this because of technical difficulties or if the speaker doesn't allow it, for example.
- Prior to each meeting, an announcement/invitation will be sent by email to each current and life member of our Chapter whose email address is on file with us.
- The email will include instructions and a link to click to join the webinar just before the meeting start time.
- Each webinar is limited to 100 participants. Participants will be added to the webinar on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Participation in meetings virtually via Zoom is currently available only to members. Information about joining can be found on our Membership page.
- All meetings are held on the 4th Monday of each month at 7:00 pm, unless noted otherwise.
- January and February meetings are virtual via Zoom only due to the possibility of inclement weather.
- Other regular meetings are in-person, but we will try to broadcast them to members virtually. (See "About Zoom Webinar" above.)
- The April meeting is the Annual Dinner.
- No meeting in December.
All regular in-person meetings are held at the Firelands Historical Society Meeting Room, 9 Case Avenue, Norwalk, Ohio, unless announced otherwise, and are open to the public.