Meetings and Events
27 March 2023 - Monday - 7:00 pm - In-Person and Zoom for Members
- Program: "Help! I'm Adopted! Finding Your Biological Family Using DNA"
Finding your biological family when you are adopted can be tricky. In this program, you will learn some techniques to piece together your family using DNA and other records
- Presenter: Dana Palmer, a Certified Genealogist, Certified Genealogical Lecturer
Dana Palmer specializes in lineage society applications, publishing family books, and Ohio research, and has lectured at RootsTech and the National Genealogical Society (NGS) conferences. She also teaches genealogy and technology classes for Sinclair Community College at their Courseview Campus in Mason, OH.
24 April 2023 - Monday - 6:00 pm - In-Person Only
- Program: Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner, plus Genealogy Fun and Games
- Location: Norwalk Elks Lodge #730, 2949 St. Rt. 250, Norwalk (south of Fisher-Titus Hospital and the Rt. 18/20 interchange).
- 6:00 pm: Social Time. 6:30 pm: Dinner
Honey roasted chicken, green beans, roasted red potatoes, salad, and brownie parfait for dessert. $20/person (includes gratuity) payable in advance.
- Print/Download the sign-up form. Sign-Up Deadline is Monday, 17 April.
22 May 2023 - Monday - 7:00 pm - In-Person and Zoom for Members
- Program: "If Walls Could Talk" - On how to trace and date your ancestor's home, barn, property, etc., using land deeds and maps.
- Presenter: Christina Drain
Christina Drain is a 9th generation Ohioan, genealogist, and historian, specializing in writing and technology. She is president of the Richland County-Shelby Chapter of OGS.
26 June 2023 - Monday - 7:00 pm - In-Person and Zoom for Members
- Program: To Be Determined
*About Zoom Webinar
For Members Only
For Members Only
- A webinar ("web" + "seminar") is an online video presentation that is broadcast to a group of participants through their computers or other mobile devices via the Internet. Currently, our Chapter is using Zoom Webinar to facilitate this process for broadcasting our meetings.
- When possible, all regular meetings will be broadcast via Zoom. Occasionally, we may not be able to do this because of technical difficulties or if the speaker doesn't allow it, for example.
- Prior to each meeting, an announcement/invitation will be sent by email to each current and life member of our Chapter whose email address is on file with us.
- The email will include instructions and a link to click to join the webinar just before the meeting start time.
- Each webinar is limited to 100 participants. Participants will be added to the webinar on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Participation in meetings virtually via Zoom is currently available only to members. Information about joining can be found on our Membership page.
- All meetings are held on the 4th Monday of each month at 7:00 pm, unless noted otherwise.
- January and February meetings are virtual via Zoom only due to the possibility of inclement weather.
- Other regular meetings are in-person, but we will try to broadcast them to members virtually. (See "About Zoom Webinar" above.)
- The April meeting is the Annual Dinner.
- No meeting in December.
All regular in-person meetings are held at the Firelands Historical Society Meeting Room, 9 Case Avenue, Norwalk, Ohio, unless announced otherwise, and are open to the public.